Ralph Lightle established the Lightle Funeral Home in Ruthven in the 1930's. He then opened a funeral home in Spencer, Iowa with a partner. The Ruthven Funeral Home then became known as the Lightle-Hays Funeral Home until 1977 when both partners died. The funeral home was sold to Dick Martin who owned and operated the facility until 1990 when Alan Mattice joined as a partner in the operation. Alan and Tracey purchased the funeral home in 1993 and did extensive remodeling on the old home. In 1995 they built a new facility on Merrill Street which is it's current location.